Saturday, February 27, 2010

AAAWWUBBIS clauses

Going over complex sentences last week gave me some things to think about. Looking in the newspaper for AAAWWUBBIS clauses helped me determine what exactly clauses and complex sentences are. These clauses include "although, after, as, while, when, until, because, before, if, and since". These words are used to separate clauses. Usually AAAWWUBBIS words come in between dependent clauses. I understand independent clauses "as" full thoughts, or sentences. I know that even with independent clauses a semi-colon can be added "if" the next sentence is connected to the first. "As" far as dependent clauses, an AAAWWUBBIS word is necessary to separate the clauses. "Although" such words can be used to separate clauses, they can also be used to start an independent clause. "After" awhile AAAWWUBBIS words are easy to pick out of a sentence "because" they are a specific set of words. My question for the week deals with dependent clauses, or fragments. Has anyone ever written a fragment in an essay to prove a certain point, only to have the instructor correct it? Also "when" is it alright to begin writing against the rules? Even in college I feel like I have to follow the rules to achieve a good grade, instead of being able to experience with my writing. Does anyone else have a similar experience? Another question, does awhile count "as" an AAAWWUBBIS word? ps- I'm putting the AAAWWUBBIS words in quotes "because" the bold function is not working.

1 comment:

  1. I have totally been in that boat (where you write a fragment to prove a point to have it corrected). I think it depends on the context of what you're writing that you can break the rules. What stinks even more, is it depends on the teacher (in my experience). Most all creative writing teachers will let you play with language all you want and encourage fragments, while it seems as though literature teachers are about half and half - some consider it rhetorical strategic while others look at it as grammatically incorrect.

    I think breaking rules can happen in college because typically college students can explain WHY they wrote what they wrote. I've gone in and explained to teachers how I used a fragment (or whatever else) to prove a point or strengthen an argument and they've been receptive to my explanation. So I think as long as you can back up you're writing, you're good. BUT AGAIN - teachers vary and you'll probably come across a teacher that will not listen no matter how strong your argument is.

    ReplyDelete