Thursday, January 21, 2010

What I have learned thus far

So far in this class I have learned many new things. In my writing I often use ‘however,’ and apparently did not know how to punctuate it properly. I would usually put ‘however’ in the middle of a sentence with a comma or semi-colon before ‘however’ and a comma following it. There are many different ways to punctuate ‘however’ as I soon found out. Yet another grammatical rule that I have learned is how to use punctuation to completely change the meaning of a phrase. I have always known that adding punctuation changes how words are spoken and how the meaning is altered. I did not know that just a few comma’s or ending punctuation could really alter a sentence meaning that completely.

Learning about apostrophes added whole new concepts to my grammatical understanding. I realized that apostrophes were used for contractions, such as in ‘it’s’ to replace ‘it is.’ I also knew that apostrophes were used to express possession as shown in the phrase ‘Charlie’s camel.’ These are the kind of uses that I thought apostrophes served. I had never though much about how they accomplished the things they did, or how I knew where to place them besides a gut feeling. In class I found that my gut feeling can be right sometimes, and wrong at other times. I now know how to spot a misuse of an apostrophe, at least when used in possession or conjunctions. Another thing I learned about apostrophes is the fact that they actually replace letters, and even in some cases words. However I do find myself confused with when to use ‘es’ instead of ‘s. Also I don’t quite understand the concept of eliminating letters. Does this mean that a writer can eliminate any amount of letters and replace them with an apostrophe as long as they can justify it?

2 comments:

  1. Hey so I'm not sure of the exact answer to your question but it seems like to me you can get away with most things in English if you can justify it. For instance, you can make up a words in creative writing pieces and poems if you make them sound legit... like "ensconsment" or "grrumph". Well i guess that's more of a sound but whatever, do you kinda get the point I'm trying to make? Anywho, I think what makes English such a difficult language for non-native speakers to learn is that it is so flexible and ever changing. As long you don't do anything too weird with the 'phe's it should be fine if you can justify it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, there are limits to how creative you can get. The key question for the writer is "will readers know what I mean?"

    [Instead of "conjunction," you mean "contraction."]

    And actually, if "however" simply interrupts your sentence in the middle somewhere, then, yes, you put a comma before and after it. We'll look at this issue specifically in the course. Lots of people are confused about it.

    ReplyDelete